By Rebecca Martin
How can we improve local government? By becoming more civic-minded rather than a single issue participant and attending regular, monthly meetings of both the Ulster County Legislature and City of Kingston Common Council. That’s a potent and simple place to start.
To help you to get on your way, KingstonCitizens.org has put together a schedule of 2017 for both elected bodies. “Many hands make light work” as they say. If each of us attended one or two meetings a year and shared what we witnessed – the landscape would look and feel very different.
Here are simple steps you can take to become a more engaged, local citizen.
- Sign up for the dates and times that are most convenient for your schedule (see below)
- Attend meetings. Make sure you check the calendar prior to attending, as all dates/times are subject to change (see below). Make sure you add the dates to your personal calendar so you are reminded of your commitments.
- Write a one-page (or more) summation of your experience. What happened that evening? How many citizens were present? Did you speak during public comment? What issues were discussed? What significant decisions were made? What did you learn and what outcome would you like to see on the issues that were discussed that evening?
- Submit your piece to KingstonCitizens.org: email@example.com to be shared in our “Citizen Opinions” section (rules apply).
- We can help you to identify your council and legislative representatives and will encourage you to send a copy of your report directly to them as well.
- Ulster County Legislature: Dem/Rep Caucus and Regular Legislative Session
- Kingston Common Council: Caucus and Regular Meeting
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Join us in becoming familiar with local government.