By Liz Lipton
For residents who are interested in developing walking and biking trails in Ulster County, here is a LINK to American Trails’ Web page with 50+ articles/ research studies on the economic benefits of such trails.
This Web page includes links to studies in the following categories: “Tourism,” “Benefits,” “Business,” “Valuing Trails,” and “Studies.” Here is a sampling of the studies listed in their respective categories. Some of the studies in “Valuing Trails” and “Studies” are of particular interest to those concerned with property values.
– Implementing Trail-Based Economic Development Programs: a handbook for Iowa communities
– Attracting bike tourists to your trail: lessons from the Canalway Trail in New York
– The Business of Trails: a compilation of economic benefits by Terry Eastin.
– Trails and Revitalization: A Study of the Economics Associated with Public Trails.
– How Methow Valley grew an economy
4. Valuing Trails
– Trails add value to new homes and give the developer the highest investment return
– Trails expenditures shown to reduce health-care costs.
– bibliography of economic impact studies related to trails and greenways
This is just a sampling of the 50+ studies, to view the complete listing, follow this LINK