View the Niagara Bottling Timeline
- Niagara Bottling Company Pulls Out of Town of Ulster Location.
Feb 13, 2015 Niagara Bottling Company Pulls Out of Town of Ulster Location. "Katt Speculated that growing local opposition to the proposal was part of the reason for the company's withdrawal. "I think that they saw the opposition had grown, and they feel it is better to look elsewhere.""
- KingstonCitizens.org urges the public to contact Kingston Water Department Superintendent Judith Hansen
Feb 12, 2015 KingstonCitizens.org urges the public to contact Kingston Water Department Superintendent Judith Hansen to request that she respond to an ongoing, four-month-old FOIL request.
- Empire State Development Announces New Mid-Hudson Regional Director.
Feb 11, 2015 Empire State Development Announces New Mid-Hudson Regional Director. Aimee Vargas appears to have been replaced by Meghan Taylor.
- KingstonCitizens.org publishes a response to Governor Cuomo’s remarks about Infrastructure in NYS
Feb 7, 2015 KingstonCitizens.org publishes a response to Governor Cuomo’s remarks in Syracuse where he said the State has “no plans to send millions of dollars to Syracuse or other upstate cities to fix leaky aging water systems.” Three suggestions specific to the City of Kingston are featured: longer range capitol improvement plans; conservation water pricing and assessing the continued value of independence for the Kingston Water Department.
- KingstonCitizens.org Attends ToU Town Board meeting.
Feb 5, 2015 Town of Ulster Town Board meeting. Niagara and the draft Scoping Document by Chazen & Company are not on the agenda; there is no mention of it during the meeting.
- First organizational meeting of the Community Water Protection Task Force.
Feb 5, 2015 First organizational meeting of the Community Water Protection Task Force.
- Kingston Common Council passes a Resolution requesting an 80-day Public Comment period & Kingston...
Feb 4, 2015 Kingston Common Council passes a Resolution requesting an 80-day Public Comment period and a City of Kingston Public Hearing on Niagara’s Public Scoping Document in SEQR.
- KingstonCitizens.org informs the public that there will be an opening on the Kingston Water Board...
Feb 4, 2015 KingstonCitizens.org informs the public that there will be an opening on the Kingston Water Board of Commissioners. Mayor Gallo will appoint a Kingston City resident to the five-year term, beginning June 1, 2015; all interested applicants are encouraged to apply.
- KingstonCitizens.org requests that all Interested and Involved Agencies in SEQR send a request to...
Feb 3, 2015 KingstonCitizens.org requests that all Interested and Involved Agencies in SEQR send a request to ToU Town Board and Supervisor Quigley to ask for a longer Public Comment period and multiple Public Hearings to allow greater public participation on the proposed environmental review laid out in Niagara’s Draft Scoping Document. There is still no communication from The Chazen Companies regarding delivery date for the overdue Scoping Document.
- KingstonCitizens.org and a coalition of organizations and communities launches a new petition to ...
Feb 2, 2015 KingstonCitizens.org and a coalition of organizations and communities launches a new petition to send to Governor Cuomo. It states that “Niagara Bottling should NOT be awarded 10 years of tax abatements” via the Start-Up NY program. Niagara’s abatements, along with NYS’s allowance of manufacturers’ tax credits, could amount to an estimated $50+ million in ten years.
- Country Wisdom article quotes project engineer Peter Romano of the Chazen Companies.
Feb 1, 2015 Country Wisdom article quotes project engineer Peter Romano of the Chazen Companies: “...the scoping documents should be ready sometime in February. Niagara seems to feel this is a good site and one worth fighting for. They came back and asked us to go ahead and prepare scoping documents. After the town approves those, the public comment can begin. It's still early in a long process."
- Woodstock NY Transition, Woodstock Land Conservancy (WLC) and Woodstock Farm Festival (WFF) kick ...
Jan 28, 2015 Woodstock NY Transition, Woodstock Land Conservancy (WLC) and Woodstock Farm Festival (WFF) kick off their prescient winter film and community discussion series -- “Breakthrough Solutions for Restoring People and Planet” -- with the first film, Watersheds: Our Lifeboats.
- KingstonCitizens.org attends the Town of Ulster Town Board Meeting
Jan 22, 2015 KingstonCitizens.org attends the Town of Ulster Town Board Meeting and learns that the Draft Scoping Document, required to begin the SEQR timeline process, has not been delivered by The Chazen Companies on behalf of Niagara Bottling Company. The ToU has received no communications from Chazen or Niagara regarding the project.
- Woodstock Land Conservancy (WLC) creates a Watershed Task Force to work on a comprehensive water ...
Jan 20, 2015Woodstock Land Conservancy (WLC) creates a Watershed Task Force to work on a comprehensive water policy for the region. The public may make tax deductible donations through WLC to develop and sustain collaborative watershed protection work, including that being done by KingstonCitizens.org.
- KingstonCitizens.org hosts a “Tapped” screening and public education forum at the VFW in the Town...
Jan 15, 2015KingstonCitizens.org hosts a “Tapped” screening and public education forum at the VFW in the Town of Ulster. It is well attended and during Q&A, there is a good deal of discussion.
- Discussion of Niagara on "The Same Boat" radio program.
Jan 14, 2015Representatives from KingstonCitizens.org, Woodstock Land Conservancy and SUNY Ulster Environmental Club discuss Niagara on “The Same Boat” radio program.
- KingstonCitizens.org attends Kingston Water Board meeting.
Jan 14, 2015KingstonCitizens.org attends Kingston Water Board meeting. Meeting included a Resolution to define rules of conduct regarding public participation in water board meetings (0:42 - 8:32) and the Cooper Lake Dam Project (8:42 - 14:35). Resolution re: Rules of Conduct for Kingston Board of Water Commissioners’ Meetings
- KingstonCitizens.org attends the Ulster County Industrial Development Agency (IDA) meeting
Jan 14, 2015KingstonCitizens.org attends the Ulster County Industrial Development Agency (IDA) meeting to understand their role as an Involved Agency in SEQR for the proposed Niagara Bottling Company project. Jennifer Schwartz Berky (entire recording) Rebecca Martin (0:00 - 5:10): http://www.kingstoncitizens.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/UCIDA-01.14.2015.m4a
- SaveCooperLake.org hires a consultant, HydroQuest
Jan 12, 2015SaveCooperLake.org hires a consultant, HydroQuest, to do a preliminary assessment of hydrologic issues associated with the sale and distribution of “Surplus” Cooper Lake Water.
- Town of Ulster Town Board Workshop.
Jan 8, 2015Town of Ulster Town Board Workshop. The public requests a 60 day Comment Period in SEQR and additional Public Hearings on Draft Scoping Document. Still no word from The Chazen Companies on the long-anticipated and overdue Scoping Document. ToU Supervisor Quigley is out of town on a five-week vacation.
- KingstonCitizens.org responds to President Katt and requests meeting to discuss Start-Up New York.
Dec 31, 2014KingstonCitizens.org responds to President Katt and requests meeting to discuss Start-Up New York.
- SUNY Ulster President Donald Katt writes letter to KingstonCitizens.org
Dec 29, 2014SUNY Ulster President Donald Katt writes letter to KingstonCitizens.org in response to on Start-Up New York, President Katt says that “Reviewing the process and the credentials that were considered in the case of Niagara Bottling, I cannot imagine an outcome other than that which we reached given the defined role that the college performs.”
- Niagara Bottling is not included in Start-Up NY funding announcement by Governor Cuomo.
Dec 29, 2014Niagara Bottling is not included in Start-Up NY funding announcement by Governor Cuomo.
- Kingston Times article “Niagara-SUNY Ulster alliance could bring bottler huge tax breaks.”
Dec 26, 2014Kingston Times article “Niagara-SUNY Ulster alliance could bring bottler huge tax breaks.” Though Niagara’s request for $10.8 million was not included on Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council’s (MHREDC) list of projects (announced in early December), Ulster County Community College President Don Katt said that the project is still in the running for benefits under the state’s Start-Up NY program.
- Scenic Hudson/City of Kingston Request Longer Public Comment Period in SEQR.
Dec 19, 2014Scenic Hudson and City of Kingston Alderman/Majority Leader issue letters to Town of Ulster requesting a longer Public Comment period in SEQR.
- Village of Saugerties issues letter to Town of Ulster requesting a longer Public Comment period i...
Dec 16, 2014Village of Saugerties issues letter to Town of Ulster requesting a longer Public Comment period in SEQR.
- KingstonCitizens.org gives a presentation before the SUNY Ulster Board of Trustees.
Dec 16, 2014KingstonCitizens.org gives a presentation before the SUNY Ulster Board of Trustees. “Can We Do Better?” KingstonCitizens.org asks the SUNY Ulster Board of Directors not to enter into the Start-Up New York program with Niagara Bottling.
- SUNY Ulster Environmental Club VP Gives Presentation to SUNY Ulster Board of Trustees
Dec 16, 2014SUNY Ulster Environmental Club’s Vice President gives a presentation to SUNY Ulster Board of Trustees (at their request), and presents several options for national / international university sustainability initiatives that SUNY Ulster could join. A PowerPoint presentation on Campus Sustainability Rating Programs is included. The Club’s President presents to the Trustees a petition (with 1,348 signatures) requesting SUNY Ulster rescind their partnership with Niagara. Sustainability Tracking, Assessment and Rating System https://stars.aashe.org American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment http://www.presidentsclimatecommitment.org
- SUNY Ulster Environmental Club Launches MoveOn.org Petition
Dec 15, 2014SUNY Ulster Environmental Club launches MoveOn.org petition requesting that SUNY Ulster rescind its partnership with Niagara Bottling. 1,348 signatures are collected from students and community members.
- KingstonCitizens.org Begins Letter Writing Campaign to Urge Denial of Start-Up NY Funds to Niagara
Dec 15, 2014KingstonCitizens.org begins a letter writing campaign to urge the Empire State Development Corporation not to include Niagara Bottling in the Start-Up NY Program.
- KingstonCitizens.org Hosts "Tapped" Screening at BSP in Kingston
Dec 14, 2014KingstonCitizens.org hosts a “Tapped” screening and public education forum at BSP in Kingston. It is co-sponsored by Woodstock Land Conservancy, Riverkeeper and Esopus Creek Conservancy, and well attended.
- KingstonCitizens.org Begins Letter Writing Campaign Focused on Extending SEQR Public Comment Peri...
Dec 12, 2014KingstonCitizens.org begins a letter writing campaign to request that the Town of Ulster extend the SEQR Public Comment period to 60 days because Chazen / Niagara have still not delivered the Scoping Document. Citizens are also urged to request public hearings at additional locations to allow public input on the draft Scoping Document. A Facebook page is created for the SEQR Timeline.
- KingstonCitizens.org Hosts "Tapped" Screening in Saugerties
Dec 12, 2014KingstonCitizens.org hosts a “Tapped” screening and public education forum at The Inquiring Mind Bookstore, Saugerties. It is co-sponsored by Woodstock Land Conservancy, Riverkeeper and Esopus Creek Conservancy, and well attended.
- KingstonCitizens.org Offers Private "Tapped" Screening at Woodstock Day School Assembly.
Dec 12, 2014KingstonCitizens.org offers a private screening of the trailer for “Tapped” at Woodstock Day School Assembly. The students are only allowed to show the trailer (not the full length film). Student Body president, Jazmin Kay, is the only presenter due to the politicized nature of the Niagara proposal, and she discusses the issue as it pertains to her senior project on Youth and Civic Engagement.
- NYS denies $10.8 million in CFA Funding to Niagara.
Dec 11, 2014New York State announces that Niagara Bottling Company will not receive critical public funding for their facility build. The company’s Consolidated Funding Application (CFA) was previously selected as a priority project through the Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council. The amount requested was $10.8 million dollars. The Coalition of signatories issued a media release responding to the decision. Several regional initiatives are funded, including a project by Catskill Mountainkeeper, one of the Coalition partners.
- Coalition Delivers 1587 Signatures to MHREDC
Dec 11, 2014The coalition delivers the full Change.org petition to the Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council. 1587 citizens signed, requesting that the MHREDC deny grant funds to Niagara Bottling Company in the 2015 round of grant announcements. KingstonCitizens.org’s Rachel Marco-Havens travels to Albany to represent the people of the region and deliver a hard copy of the petition. LInks to Petition & Video from Capital visit attached. Photo Gallery from Capital visit: https://www.facebook.com/palaceofmuse/media_set?set=a.10152495963114249.520109248&type=3
- KingstonCitizens.org Attends Kingston Water Board Meeting
Dec 10, 2014KingstonCitizens.org attends the Kingston Water Board Meeting, where discussions regarding the Cooper Lake Dam and other items take place. Draft of KWD Five Year (2014-2019) Capital Plan http://www.kingston-ny.gov/filestorage/8463/8511/10396/draft_2015-2019_CIP.pdf http://kingston-ny.gov/filestorage/8463/8511/10396/draft_2015-2019_CIP.pdf
- Governor Cuomo Postpones REDC Award Ceremony for CFA Grants
Dec 9, 2014Due to inclement weather, Governor Cuomo issues a 26-hour postponement of the REDC Award Ceremony for CFA grants. The Ceremony will occur on 12/11/14 at noon. http://www.change.org/p/mid-hudson-regional-economic-development-council-we-request-that-the-mid-hudson-regional-economic-development-council-not-award-funds-to-the-niagara-bottling-company-in-this-year-s-round-of-grants-on-december-10th/u/8982366
- 1st Round of Petition Signatures Delivered to MHREDC, Other Officials, Media
Dec 7, 2014The first round of petition signatures is delivered via email to Aimee Vargas, Director of Empire State Development for the Mid-Hudson Region; several other public officials; members of the MHREDC; and local media to ensure that the petition receives consideration prior to the official announcement of REDC Awards on at 10 AM on December 10th.
- Local Elementary Students Create PSA Video Inspired by "Tapped"
Dec 7, 2014Three local elementary school children watch “Tapped” and immediately create a PSA video, “Say No to Single Use Plastic Bottles.”
- KingstonCitizens.org hosts "Tapped" screening at Bearsville Theater; hundreds attend.
Dec 7, 2014KingstonCitizens.org hosts “Tapped” film screening & public educational forum at Bearsville Theater. The event sponsors (KingstonCitizens.org, RiverKeeper, Woodstock Land Conservancy and Esopus Creek Conservancy) and other speakers host a Q&A following the film. Event is very well attended with hundreds of citizens in attendance and provides the opportunity for Woodstock residents to sign the petition about MHREDC funding and obtain fact sheets for further distribution.
- Watershed Coalition writes to MHREDC requesting denial of Niagara's funding application
Dec 5, 2014A growing coalition of 15 Ulster County & NYS organizations signs a letter to Aimee Vargas, Director of Empire State Development for the Mid-Hudson Region, requesting that the Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Development Council (MHREDC) not award funds to the Niagara Bottling Company on December 10th. A public petition is also created on Change.org.
- KingstonCitizens.org hosts Food & Water Watch Educational Panel at Kingston Public Library.
Dec 4, 2014KingstonCitizens.org hosts Food & Water Watch Educational Panel at Kingston Public Library. “Bottled Water: Bad for the People and the Environment.” Speaker Alex Duchamp notes an unprecedented turnout for this event.
- KingstonCitizens.org creates a fact sheet: "Is Niagara Bottling Company Right for Ulster County?"
Dec 4, 2014KingstonCitizens.org creates a fact sheet “Is Niagara Bottling Company right for Ulster County?” It is printed / available for download, and distributed regionwide by KingstonCitizens.org’s Street Team; at “Tapped” film screenings / educational events; municipal meetings; community hubs; and via a dedicated link on the website.
- H2O Keep It Local logo adopted for outreach materials
Dec 2, 2014KingstonCitizens.org begins using a new logo, H2O Keep It Local, for outreach materials.
- Kingston Common Council's Resolution to hire its own municipal lawyer defeated 5-4
Dec 2, 2014Kingston Common Council votes on #227 Resolution to allocate additional funds ($25,000) for the Council to hire its own municipal lawyer; following debate, the Resolution is defeated 5-4. Without “Involved” Agency status, Kingston taxpayers will be asked to foot the bill for legal, scientific and engineering costs during SEQR.
- KingstonCitizens.org gives presentation to Red Hook Planning Board
Dec 1, 2014KingstonCitizens.org attends Red Hook Planning Board meeting to do brief presentation on the work of the coalition. Niagara representatives and the property owners of the spring in Cokertown (Red Hook) did not appear. Soon after this meeting, KingstonCitizens.org learns that Niagara is no longer interested in the Cokertown/Red Hook springs because of hazardous waste too close to the spring.
- KingstonCitizens.org Sends a FOIL Request to Empire State Development
Nov 26, 2014KingstonCitizens.org Sends a FOIL Request to Empire State Development requesting a copy of the Niagara Bottling Company’s Consolidated Funding Application in the amount of $10.8 million dollars for their facility build. The application has been pushed back month after month.
- Town of Woodstock Town Board Votes to Hire an Attorney
Nov 26, 2014Town of Woodstock Town Board votes to hire an attorney to defend the watershed and ToW’s legal water rights and interests. Since the ToW is not an “Involved” Agency in SEQR, Woodstock taxpayers would have to pay for all costs during SEQR (legal, scientific, engineering) to protect the Town’s rights and interests.
- KingstonCitizens.org FOILs Empire State Development re: 2014 CFA for Niagara
Nov 24, 2014KingstonCitizens.org FOILs Empire State Development’s Records Access Officer with requests for 2014 CFA for Niagara Bottling LLC (aka Niagara Bottling Northeast) for 2014 and the minutes of all meetings of the MHREDC at which the Niagara Bottling proposal was discussed.